On a chilly morning, when we need something filling but easy, when we feel the need for extra comfort: We have found this to be better than milk.
Our Warm Vanilla Soother recipe has been around for a while. If you’re a Heavenly Homemakers veteran, you’ve likely tried it a time or three. But just in case you’re new, or in case you’ve been around a while but need to be reminded, we wanted to highlight our Warm Vanilla Soother today!
Our 5-year old Bonus Boy is a milk-drinking-machine. He loves his milk, and didn’t bat an eye when he moved in with us and we started serving him our farm-fresh raw milk. He guzzles it down until we tell him “that’s all for now.” So I wondered how he’d like our Warm Vanilla Soother. Oh…he likes it. He likes it very much. And he likes the chocolate variety too. Who wouldn’t?
So what’s better than a milk mustache (worn very often by our 5-year old)? A Warm Vanilla Soother mustache, of course.
Better Than Milk: Warm Vanilla Soother
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ? cup real maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter (optional, but delicious!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, maple syrup and arrowroot powder.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly (I use a whisk) until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Stir until creamy.
- Pour into mugs and serve warm.
Here are a couple other fun varieties we’ve created!
If you live in a colder climate as I do, it’s recipes like these that are getting us through these “it’s almost spring but still very chilly” days. We will make it through until warm weather finds us!